The benefits of a laser carbon peel?
Laser carbon peels refresh and improve the look of skin, and they’re best for people with oily skin, enlarged pores, and acne. People who have minor wrinkling and photo-ageing may also benefit from this treatment.
You should stop using retinols for around one week before the laser carbon peel. You should also use sunscreen daily during this time.
The laser carbon peel is a multi-part process that takes around 30 minutes from start to finish:
- Your doctor will spread a layer of carbon paste onto your face. The carbon absorbs oil, dirt, and dead skin cells from deep within the pores.
- You’ll wait for about 10 minutes for the liquid carbon to dry.
- After the carbon has dried, your doctor will give you eye shields to protect your eyes from the laser.
- Your doctor will pass a laser, a pico-second NdYag laser, over the skin on a low-energy setting. This heats up the carbon, binding it to the epidermis.
- If you have very sensitive skin or dark patches like melasma, your doctor may recommend skipping the heating step. The laser also heats up subdermal tissue, boosting collagen and plumping up fine lines.
- On a higher-energy setting, the laser will be used to fragment the liquid carbon into tiny particles.
- Your doctor then applies a hydrating moisturizer and sunscreen to your skin after treatment.
Laser carbon peels are painless, and require no recovery time. Other than mild and temporary redness, there are no reported side effects.
Here are some do’s and don’ts for laser carbon peel aftercare:
- Treat your skin gently after getting a laser carbon peel by continuing to moisturize daily.
- It’s normal to see some flaking or experience dryness for a few days,
- Use sunscreen regularly with at least SPF 30+ for several days after treatment.
- Don’t use any products containing retinol for at least five days after treatment.
- Do not exfoliate or use any abrasive or invasive skin treatments for at least one week.
- If you have oily skin, use products designed to combat acne to maintain optimum results.
- Use products containing collagen, collagen supplements, or follow a collagen-boosting diet if you have photoaged skin or fine lines.