What is anti-ageing medicine?
Anti-ageing medicine is a clinical specialty founded on the application of advanced scientific and medical technologies for the early detection, prevention, treatment, and reversal of age- related dysfunction, disorders, and diseases. It is a healthcare model promoting innovative science and research to prolong the healthy lifespan in humans and also increase the quality of life while ageing.
Anti-ageing medicine is especially designed to prevent and treat age related diseases like Diabetis, high blood pressure, weight gain, hormonal imbalances in menopause and andropause, arthritis, depression and degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons.
What happens at an anti-ageing consultation?
During this consultation we will discuss your lifestyle and dietry habbits. We will check your weight, blood pressure, glucose levels and abdominal circumference. We will also do some blood test to determine your biochemical indicators. With the result of these tests a plan can be made for the right diet, excercise and supplements.
What causes ageing?
3 Main biochemical processes are involved in ageing:
- Oxidation, caused by free radicals
- Glycation, caused by sugars attaching to proteins forming AGEs
- Unbalanced Methylation
- Chronic inflammation; causes dementia, thickening of the arteries, arthritis, diabetis and hormonal imbalance.
- Hormonal deregulation
How to protect against free radical injury?
- Limit your exposure; avoid smoking, polution, artificial radiation, UV, stress, toxins in food etc.
- Have a healthy active lifestyle
- Take anti-oxidants through food/diet or supplements: Vit A, C, E, selenium, coenzym Q10, isoflavones, lutein etc Eat fruit, darkcoloured vegetables, fish, lean meat, eggs.
How to protect against glycation?
- Avoid sugar and a high carbohydrate diet. Replace white bread, rice and pasta with the ‘brown’ variety.
- Take carnosine in diet or suplement
- Fight AGEs with anti-oxidants and anti-ageing supplements
How to avoid unbalanced methylation?
- Don’t exercise excessively
- Take methylators in supplements
- Reduce homocysteine levels
How to reduce chronic inflammation?
- Reduce stress
- Limit chronic inflammation with diet and adaptogens, anti-oxidants and DHEA
How to regulate your hormone balance?
- With an active life style; regular light exercise.
- With DHEA and other supplements
- With bio-identical hormone replacement
What is the best exercise for longevity?
- Brisk walking
- Light gym exercise
- Gentle weight lifting
- Yoga, taichi, pilates etc.
What can I do to improve my diet and loose some weight?
- Get an extra hour of sleep; try sleeping 9 hours a night. Lack of sleeps induces weight gain.
- Have your evening meal an hour earlier; no food after 9 p.m.
- Avoid carbs in the evening; no pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit or dessert
- No food after 6 p.m. every other day; instead have 3 -4 squares of dark chocolate (70% or more) plus an apple, pear or vegetable juice.
- Chew properly, try chewing twice as long.
- Breakfast should be copious and full of healthy proteins; boiled or poched aggs (2), a slice of ham, a slice of brown bread with olive oil, a few tomatoes and some cheese, coffee or tea or vegetable juice.
- Drink plenty of water troughout the day, ass mint leaves, lemon, ginger or green tea for taste and slimming effect.
- Eat the right protein; white meat (chicken, turkey, rabbit, hare, quail etc) or lean red meat for lunch, eggs in the morning, fish in the evening.
- Avoid carbohydrates, sugar and sweets.
- Exercise is essential; walk, take the stairs, go to the gym etc. Walk 15 min after each meal if possible.
- Take a multi-vitamin supplement.